Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #117

    printer friendly version

    Question: May I move in with another adult without my parents' permission?

    Answer: When you are 18 years of age you may move in where and with who you wish. Before you turn 18, your parents have the right to control you and the duty to support you in most states, certainly in Arizona. The right of control may not be abused by parents, and may be lost if it is abused. However, a court will not stop a parent from controlling a child unless it can be shown that the parent is doing something wrong.

    A parent has the right to tell you where you may and may not live. Indeed, if a parent doesn't exercise proper control over a child, the child can be judged dependent and the state will take over and tell the child where to live.

    If you move in with another adult, your parent can come and get you back, and can use the police to do so. This can cause problems for the adult that you moved in with.

    1 thru 5 of 68 comments    [ 1 ]  2   3   4   5  ...   
    On 03/30/09
    tip from AZ said:
    it breaks my heart to see so many young people desperate to leave their living situations. i understand and believe it is unbearable because my 16 yr old niece is in the same situation, that is why i'm reading up on emancipation. we would gladly take her in, but her legal guardian grandparents won't let go. we are unsure of how to proceed and seek any advice.
    On 03/04/09
    kim from NM said:
    Im 17 my real mother doesnt want me i dont know where my father is im living with a women that isnt my real mom and i want to move to boulder city with my boyfriend but he is afriad that i may get him in truble and get him fired from his job i dont have a job and im not in school what do i do i cant get emmancipated i cant stay in this house anymore i do everything this women asked me to marry a man so he could come back to the us i cant do this help
    On 08/09/08
    steph from TX said:
    i am 16 and have a very hetic life here at home my parents always fighting and always having bypolar parents.i want to move in with my friend and funacianally i can.My parents say that they will not always be there for me but im sick of it.i know people dont believe that i can i want to prove them wrong.so if anybody knows the llegal things that i need to do before i can move out
    On 07/15/08
    ps from AZ said:
    im a 16 year old minor i live with my mom,she doesn't provide me with medical appointments ore help i havent been to a check up for about almost two years.Her living situations are real hectic and absurd. There are 4 other kids in the house and she does her best to provide for them but with me she doesn't mind me much or take care of me.i want to be emancipated because i provide for myself and desrve better than this can you please help me.
    On 06/23/08
    Kayla from TX said:
    Im a 16 year old soon to be 17 and I want to move out @ that age.Im sick of not going out not even to the park,all I do is sit at home after skool and hang with my 2 best friends [[ food and the T.v ]] and the funny think I dont even get fat. but anyhoo my Question is what is so diff. from being 17 and 18 ur mind dont chang just the # ? I know I can make it I had a job befor when I was with my mom but thats a diff story.It didnt work out and im with my dad again.I just wish u people chang the law and make it better for us soon to be 17 year olds if 18 year olds can make it "WHY CANT WE" ?????
    1 thru 5 of 68 comments    [ 1 ]  2   3   4   5  ...   

    Read more about the law and Family
    Related Stories
    Related Laws
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2018. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us