Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #135

    printer friendly version

    Question: I am 17 and have a child; can I move in with his father without my mothers consent?

    Answer: In Arizona, and probably in most other states, your mother has the right and the duty to control and care for you until you are an adult. Being an adult in Arizona means either that you are 18 years old, or that you are emancipated. Therefore, you may not live anywhere except where your mother (or someone else who is given custody or guardianship of you by the court) tells you to live.

    To become emancipated you must be able to support yourself. Providing for yourself means that you feed and cloth yourself, provide yourself with transportation to work and school, provide insurance, pay taxes, etc. You must be able to do all of these things, and you will be required to do all of these things for yourself.

    In addition, if you try to move in with the father of your child who is an adult (18 or over) he can be prosecuted (read more about this...).

    You have a lot to think about before you make your next move. Take time to consider it fully.

    6 thru 10 of 28 comments     1  [ 2 ]  3   4   5  ...   
    On 05/22/07
    Lauren from GA said:
    Im 16 turning 17 in 5 months & I was wondering if it was alright to move out of my house w/out my parental consent in Georgia?? I hate how my parents always think they know whats best for me. Also I was wondering if a 17 yr old guy could move out at 17 also. I heard u can at 17 if you have a job. But guys have to wait till their 18,is that true? B/c I really want my soon to be husband and me living together we have been engaged for 4 months now and dating for 10 months but our parents told us we have to be over, but we sneak and talk the thing is tho he lives in menlo b/c they moved him ...
    On 02/08/07
    megan from TX said:
    im 17 and i have a baby. im really wanting to move out. i live in tx and i dont know if it is legal to move out. i know with ur parents consent u can but im pregnant so is it legal?
    On 02/05/07
    amber from PA said:
    I am in this situation where my mom is very mad at me because me and the father of my child claimed our own child and she is 9 mns old and she was allowing me to stay at his house to be with him and the baby wich is living there so i can graduate well she is threatning to send me away and call the cops on me i go to school every day and get good grades and take care of my child i am trying to have a family of my own just like the money we got from claiming my baby i got a car so that i can get a job and take responsability but she dont care i dont kbow wat to do i want to get emancipated
    On 01/19/07
    george from AL said:
    Man the law this days think they can controll everything if a person is having a child they should be able to try things out. Just because you are young doesnt mean you are not goin to make it. Police should stick to what they do best and stop drugs,gangs,shoplifters,ect since when are they councilers.
    On 11/17/06
    yery from TX said:
    well im not sure about yalls state but in TX. if ur 17 u can move out with ur parent's consent. i know what yall r going through not wanting to live at ur parent's house but take it from me ur better off there then anywhere else u will end up regreting moving out. and there is no turning back sometimes once u move out it wont be the same once u move back in with ur parents if they let u. but i moved in with my boyfriend...and now im pregnant...so i'd advice u to think it through before u move out...u dont want to end up like me plus its alot of responsiblity too n u have to make ur own money
    6 thru 10 of 28 comments     1  [ 2 ]  3   4   5  ...   

    Read more about the law and Other
    Related Stories
    Related Laws
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2018. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us