Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #159

    printer friendly version

    Question: Is it unlawful for a minor (16) to runaway? If so what is the punishment?

    Answer: If you are in a crisis situation or need counseling, LawForKids.org lists many 1-800 help lines that might be able to assist you. Call 911 if you are in immediate danger.

    If a person is under age 18 in Arizona, he or she cannot leave home without a parent's permission unless he or she is fully emancipated, or the parents have lost their right to parental authority.

    If a 16-year-old leaves home without permission from a parent or legal guardian, he or she can be prosecuted as an incorrigible child (A.R.S. § 8-201(15)(c)). Some of the consequences of being found incorrigible include being fined, be placed on probation, and being ordered to do community service. The specific charges and consequences are left up to the officer of the court.

    If the parent cannot control the child, the child can be removed from the parent's supervision. The child may then be placed in an appropriate living place, a foster home or some type or a state facility.

    Even if the parent does not report the run away, Child Protective Services can become involved if the minor living away from home is not receiving age-appropriate supervision, is engaging in harmful conduct, does not have adequate food, clothing, shelter, medical care, or is living with an inappropriate person.

    You will not be punished by being jailed, or fined, but running away will cause you a lot of problems. You may also cause problems for any adult who helps you.

    1 thru 5 of 33 comments    [ 1 ]  2   3   4   5  ...   
    On 02/16/09
    from NY said:
    im 17 & my boyfriend is 22 what happens if i move in with him? Will he go to jail?
    On 07/26/08
    Teala from AZ said:
    About 12 years ago my father met and married a woman whom has emotionaly and verbally abusive I would lik to remain with my aunt and uncle to recieve homeschooling. What would I need to do to make my aunt and uncle my legal guardians I am 14 please help Im desperate.
    On 06/12/07
    breann from AZ said:
    i have a friend that had just gotton caught for running away what will happen to him??
    On 05/18/07
    vikkii from TX said:
    At what age do we have to be in order to leave home? I leave in Texas.
    On 01/26/07
    courtney from IL said:
    My parents are divorced I love with my mom but she is always busy with her boyfriend whom I dont' feel comfortable around and my dad is generally away on business can I move to Georgia to be with my 22 year old boyfriend and become emancipated ? could my parents force me to return home if I am trying to become emancipated ?
    1 thru 5 of 33 comments    [ 1 ]  2   3   4   5  ...   

    Read more about the law and Family
    Related Stories
    Related Laws
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2018. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us