Speak Up! - View Question #18499

« LawForKids.org home page | « Go back to speak up question #18499

Question: What do I have to show the judge if I want to be emancipated?

Answer: At the hearing it is your responsibility to convince the judge that it is in your best interests to be emancipated. The court will consider the following:

  • your wishes and your parents’ opinion regarding emancipation
  • your financial situation and whether you are independent from your parents – proof of employment or other means of support, including housing and health care
  • your education and success at school
  • whether you have a criminal record
  • whether you understand the risks of emancipation

You must also show that you have either been living on your own for three consecutive months, or why living at home is not a healthy or safe environment, or provide written consent for emancipation from your parents or guardian.

6 thru 10 of 33 comments
On 08/19/07
wd from KS said:
i want to live with my aunt she is the only one who cares ive been staying with her on and off she makes sure my grades are good and im always at schoool and keeps me in cloths check who i hang out with makes sure i do my homework everything a mom should do. my mom is on and off of drugs drinks alot and never says in one place for long moves all the time never has food and money whats that i just want a chance to make something of my self and my aunt will give me that.
On 08/05/07
Lissy from NV said:
I don't think any of you are ready for an emancipation if you have to ask someone else how to do it.
On 12/07/06
Amber from FL said:
i have been living on my own for about 1 year and i know i can do it its just i need to be emancipated so i dont get in trouble but i dont go to school and i have a bad criminal record can i still get emancipated?
On 11/24/06
nena from NY said:
i am 16 and am currently in foster care wiwth my younger sister whose father will be getting custody of . i do have a job and do go to school.
On 11/14/06
Kayla from FL said:
i have a twin sister, 2 little brothers and a little sister. All of us have been physically and mentally abused and i want to know how long it would take to get me and my twin emancipated and how long it would take to get a custody court hearing so we can all live with my mother.
6 thru 10 of 33 comments

Read more about the law and New Laws
Related Stories
  • New Laws
    • No stories found!
Related Laws
« LawForKids.org home page | « Go back to speak up question #18499