Speak Up! - View Question #22604

« LawForKids.org home page | « Go back to speak up question #22604

Question: The new emancipation law requires that the minor in question has proof of independant living for no less than 3 months. This being the case, would it be acceptable to have a parental entity sign on an apartment / housing unit? If so, the minor would merely be held respondsible for the billing records for at least a three month period, correct?


When a minor applies or 'petitions' the court for emancipation, the court will look for evidence of the minor’s ability to be completely independent, both financially and emotionally. The court will weigh all relevant factors, including housing, and will determine if emancipation is in the best interests of the minor. (A.R.S. §12-2451(B) Petition for emancipation order; requirements; notification; representation; waiver of filing fees).

The Arizona Legislature passed the laws allowing emancipation on August 12, 2005. The laws can be found at A.R.S. §§ 12-2451 through 12-2456. You can also read a summary of the law and the process on this site under Laws - Emancipation. See also: Answer to question #22658

0 thru 0 of 0 comments
Sorry, there are currently no comments posted
0 thru 0 of 0 comments

Read more about the law and Emancipation
Related Stories
  • Emancipation
    • No stories found!
Related Laws
« LawForKids.org home page | « Go back to speak up question #22604