Speak Up! - View Question #17664
printer friendly version
Question: If your parent has been abusing you what is their sentence time? Or does it depend on the how badly the child is being abused?
There are many types and degrees of abuse. The punishment depends on many things, including whether the person was convicted of abuse before, how long the abuse has been going on, and what type of abuse (physical, sexual, emotional, etc.). Punishments can include fines, community service, therapy, and time in jail.
If you or someone you know are in need of immediate help with an abuse issue, tell an adult that you trust like a teacher, doctor, police officer, and call one of the hotlines below:
- ArizonaChild Protective Services 888-SOS-CHILD or 888-767-2445
- Child Help USA Hotline 800-422-4453
- National Crisis/Suicide Hotline 800-999-9999
- National Domestic Violence Hotline 800-799-7233
- Teen Link (Various Topics) 800-235-9678
- Youth Crisis Hotline 800-448-4663
If you believe that you are in danger of physical harm, call 911 immediately!