Speak Up! - View Question #17692

« LawForKids.org home page | « Go back to speak up question #17692

Question: I'm 17 i turn 18 in november but my whole life ive been working for my grandmother cleaning houses and my mom takes all my money and now i havea job at rubios fresh mexican grill she still takes my money. she is an ex meth addict and VERY aggressive and violent all i do is clean the house and she yells at us and hits us and calls me and my 11 y/o brother names like stupid, usless and the list goes on, ive talked to people such a a councilor ect. but they all say theres nothing i can do about it , it that true if not what are my rights? please help me, im depserate.


If you are being physically and mentally abused, we encourage you to contact the police department in your city and/or Child Protective Services. Child Protective Services (CPS) is a program mandated under Arizona Law (ARS §8-802 ) for the protection of children alleged to be abused and neglected. This program provides specialized welfare services that seek to prevent dependency, abuse and neglect of children. The Child Protective Services program receives, screens and investigates allegation of child abuse and neglect, performs assessments of child safety, assesses the imminent risk of harm to the children and evaluates conditions that support or refute the alleged abuse or neglect and need for emergency intervention.

This program also provides services designed to stabilize a family in crisis and to preserve the family unit by reducing safety and risk factors. This program provides an array of services, including Family Builders, Family Group Decision Making, Family Preservation Services (Intensive Family Services), High-Risk Infant Services (in Maricopa County), case management, parent aide and other in-home family support services. Not all programs are offered in every geographic area. In addition, services to promote permanence, stability and continuity of care are provided for children who enter out-of-home care. Services include, but are not limited to case management, permanency planning, provision of out-of-home care, kinship foster care, adoptive and foster home recruitment, other out-of-home services to individuals or families, and assistance to young adults in transition from adolescence to adulthood.

To contact CPS please call: 1-877-767-2445 or visit the CPS website.

11 thru 11 of 11 comments
On 05/30/05
Nicole from MD said:
I think you should tell someone because thats verbal abuse and thats just as bad as physical and now that your 18 your mother doesnt have the right to take the money you worked for.
11 thru 11 of 11 comments

Read more about the law and Other
Related Stories
Related Laws
« LawForKids.org home page | « Go back to speak up question #17692