Speak Up! - View Question #18607

« LawForKids.org home page | « Go back to speak up question #18607

Question: My mom had made a fence aroung our back yard. Kids keep on trespassing by climbing on our fence. They do this because they want to cross from the apartments on the other side of our backyard to the street in front of our house. Can we call the police if this occures again?


Calling the police to report the trespasser(s) would be an appropriate response against a trespasser. In Arizona, trespassing is a serious crime and it is not looked upon lightly. Charges range from a class 1 misdemeanor to a class 6 felony depending on the type of criminal trespass. (A.R.S. § 13-1501 through 1504). However, to be convicted of this crime like any crime, there must be criminal intent. Therefore, if it could be shown that one was merely passing through a neighbor's yard without the intent to commit a crime, then there would be no consequences.

On the other hand, ignorance of the law is never an excuse because one should know better than to trample through someone's yard without their permission.

There is another important factor to consider.  What happens if that trespasser gets injured while on your property? Would he or she be able to sue your mom? And would you be insured for the damages under your Homeowners policy? This answer takes some explanation and you may want to consult a local attorney.

Today a trespasser who gets hurt on your property can sue you, if you have permitted a dangerous condition to continue. Whether the fence you constructed is considered a dangerous condition is something you should discuss with an attorney or the city officials where you reside. Contacting your City or an attorney will help guide you on reasonable steps to take.  Additionally, if you have a homeowners' policy, you should contact them as well.

1 thru 5 of 7 comments
On 09/16/08
AJ from AZ said:
Call the police if they do it again. They are trespassing on your private property.
On 06/29/08
carl from CA said:
go ahead and call the cops, but to be honest they probably won't care, and the offenders will be long gone by the time they show up. it's your word against theirs.
On 03/16/08
Hannah from AZ said:
To Gallegos: I think you should report it to the police. It would probobly count as property damage or vandalism. They would have to pay for any bills you had to pay for, for washing or repairing your car. They would also have to pay a fine of whatever amount the law says. As long as you have proof, you can most likely report it. Give specific information such as when, where, who, and how. I definately think you should report it to the police. I would.
On 06/25/07
from AL said:
What you require are thirteen-foot high steel reinforced concrete walls, lined with razor-wire.
On 08/18/06
jon from MT said:
i thnk you should put up signs for trespassers and if the disobey  it , call the police!
1 thru 5 of 7 comments

Read more about the law and Vandalism and Property Damage
Related Stories
Related Laws
  • Vandalism and Property Damage
    • No laws found!
« LawForKids.org home page | « Go back to speak up question #18607