Speak Up! - View Question #22789

« LawForKids.org home page | « Go back to speak up question #22789

Question: I got my driver's permit when i lived in kansas, and there, you can get a permit when you are 14. I moved to Arizona and I am still 14. Can i still drive legally in Arizona? Or do i have to wait?


When you become a resident of a state, your ability to legally drive is governed by your ability to obtain a license or a permit subject to the laws of your new home state.

Although Arizona recognizes other states' permits for non-resident drivers, you may not continue to drive in Arizona using your previous state's permit once you become a resident here. Arizona requires you to immediately apply for an Arizona license upon becoming a resident.

To obtain an instructional permit as a resident of the State of Arizona, you must be 15 years and 7 months old (A.R.S. § 28-3154). There are two exceptions to this statute: 1) you may obtain an instructional permit at the age of 15 years if you meet the qualifications for a permit and you are enrolled in a state approved driver's education program (A.R.S. § 28-3155) or 2) if you are a minor operating farm equipment (A.R.S. § 28-3152(2)).

You can find more information by visiting the Arizona Department of Transportation Online.

0 thru 0 of 0 comments
Sorry, there are currently no comments posted
0 thru 0 of 0 comments

Read more about the law and Driving
Related Stories
Related Laws
« LawForKids.org home page | « Go back to speak up question #22789