Speak Up! - View Question #36

« LawForKids.org home page | « Go back to speak up question #36

Question: Do I need both parents signature if they are divorced to get my drivers permit?

Answer: Maybe. According to the rules for obtaining a driver's permit in Arizona, an adult must sign the application. The adult who signs will be responsibile for any negligence or willful misconduct of the kid with the permit.

However, the rules state that in certain instances the application must be signed by:

One natural parent if married to the other natural parent or Both Natural Parents if not married to each other and have joint custody or One natural parent with sole custody or if neither parent is living a Legal Guardian (proof required).

Read more about the requirements of getting a driver's license and permit on the Arizona Department of Transportation web page.

1 thru 3 of 3 comments
On 07/17/08
none from AZ said:
I dont think it matters in Arizona. My parents are still married but my mom signed for me to take the permit test and when I went in 5 months later to get my license she signed for that too. I think you just need to bring in one of your parents.
On 04/13/04
Joshua from OH said:
My parents have gottin a divorce recently. I have takin everything needed to get my license in Ohio. But my parents do not want me to get it. Is there anyway that I could get my license without them siging?
On 02/15/04
billy from AZ said:
Im the first to comment!!!
1 thru 3 of 3 comments

Read more about the law and Driving
Related Stories
Related Laws
« LawForKids.org home page | « Go back to speak up question #36