Speak Up! - View Question #18429

« LawForKids.org home page | « Go back to speak up question #18429

Question: My girlfriend's father beats/rapes her on a regular basis, her mother doesn't seem to care, and her father has taught her brother to disrespect and hurt her as well. She's 17 still, and I'm 16, and I'm wondering if she could move in with me and my mother until she turns 18


Sexual and physical abuse are serious issues and must be reported.  Arizona law requires certain persons who suspect that a child (under age 18)  has received non-accidental injury or has been neglected to report their concerns to CPS or local law enforcement (ARS §13-3620.B). YOU may be her only advocate at the time you report the possibility of abuse or neglect. People who are abused often tell a person with whom they feel safe about abuse or neglect. Since she has told you of such experiences, act to protect her by calling the toll free Arizona Child Abuse Hotline at 1-888-SOS-CHILD (1-888-767-2445).

Child protection services will then determine what is in her best interest.

1 thru 5 of 11 comments
On 01/16/09
adi from FL said:
My Boyfriend has been abused at Arc of alachua from staff there
On 05/01/08
sissy from TN said:
well thats kinda hard cause your 16 and the court might have to send someone in to watch and see if her father does do that and if someones around he would'nt do that so have them question your girlfriend.
On 09/04/07
Tony from AZ said:
You should probably report this to the police instead of trying to deal with it yourself
On 07/19/07
Tiffy from Othr said:
I think that you should tell Family Services and tell her there is nothing to be scared of and that her father and brother should be the ones to be scared. Charges should be laid on them and let them see what it feels like in jail. She doesn't deserve to live like that, no one in this world does. I say take her in and make sure she's safe and loved the right way.
On 03/06/07
shorty from AZ said:
Yea I was abused to by my grandparents. I told my boyfrined and he keeped it for awhile then I got a black eye and I went to school and my friend say it and she called my boyfriend and he called my other friends mom and she reported it. If you are ever in any physical or Sexual abuse tell somebody it will be the best thing you will ever do. I did it and I live with my mom and stepdad and sister(she went through the abuse also) and I couldnt ask for anything better.
1 thru 5 of 11 comments

Read more about the law and Family and Sexual Assault and Misconduct
Related Stories
Related Laws
« LawForKids.org home page | « Go back to speak up question #18429