Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Laws
 Law Topics
  Arrested (7)
  Bullying (1)
  Curfew (1)
  Driving (9)
  Emancipation (1)
  Family (3)
  Guns and Weapons (1)
  Illegal Substances (8)
  New Laws (4)
  Other (3)
  School (1)
  Trouble (8)
  Violence (5)

Latest Laws

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Laws - View Law: Emancipation

    The Arizona Legislature passed a new law that goes into effect on August 12, 2005 that allows minors to be emancipated. The law can be found at A.R.S. §§ 12-2451 through 12-2456. However, emancipation is a very difficult process that few are eligible for.

    Youth can be emancipated if they meet the following criteria:

    • At least 16
    • An Arizona resident
    • Financially self-sufficient.
    • Acknowledges in writing that they have read and understand the rights and obligations of emancipation
    • The minor is not ward of the court or in the state’s custody.
    Minor must demonstrate to the court the ability to:
    • Manage financial, personal and social affairs.
    • Live wholly independent of parent or guardian.
    • Obtain or maintain health care, education, training or employment.

    Documentation-- the minor must provide at least one (1) of the following:

    • Documentation of the minor’s independent living for at least three consecutive months.
    • Statement explaining why the minor believes the home of the parent or legal guardian is unsafe.
    • A notarized statement of written consent from the parent or guardian in addition to an explanation by the parent or guardian.

    Court Process

    • The court has up to 90 days to hear the emancipation request.
    • Minor may represent themself or be represented by an attorney.
    • The court may appoint a lawyer for the minor.
    • At least 2 months before the hearing, the court must notify the minor's parents.
    • The parents have up to 30 days to object to the emanicpation.
    • The parents may request mediation or the court may order mediation.

    Basis for Court decision

    • Potential risks and consequences of emancipation.
    • The wishes of the minor.
    • Opinions and recommendations of the minor’s parents or guardian.
    • Financial resources of the minor and the minor’s ability to be financially self-sufficient.
    • The employment, education and criminal history of the minor.

    Rights of Emancipated Minors -- An emancipated minor is entitled to:

      • Enter a contract.
      • Sue and be sued.
      • Buy and sell real property.
      • Establish legal residence.
      • Pay child support.
      • Incur debts.
      • Apply for social services.
      • Obtain a job-related license.
      • Apply for school.
      • Apply for loans.
      • Access medical treatment and records.
      • Consent to medical treatment.
      • A driver's license or non-operating license with the words: Emancipated Minor.

      21 thru 25 of 125 comments     1   2   3   4  [ 5 ] ...   
      On 10/07/08
      jessie from AL said:
      well i am 17 and will be 18 in 2mths and me and my mother can't stand each other and she want let me move out i have a 2yr old little boy and she says that if i try to move out when i turn 18 with him she will take him what am i suppose to do? is it legal 4 me to leave with my child as soon as my birthday gets here??
      On 10/06/08
      fay from AZ said:
      what if the people you live with wont let me move out and be on my own for three months? what am I supsosed to do.
      On 10/02/08
      speed from AZ said:
      My dad verbally abuses me and i know i can take care of myself. I take care of my mom, dad, and myself so if i can do that i know i can live and support myself. A conseluer at my school said that i can start the emancipation process at 14 but everywhere i have looked it says you have to be 18. Who do I believe??? I don't have a technical job right now but someone gives me 70 a day for helping them out with some stuff. I get about $150 a week working only 2 days and could make as much as $220 a week from this so called job and i know i would be able to live without them. What do i do?????
      On 09/10/08
      Mel from AZ said:
      I am a minor in Arizona and I have filed for emancipation. My court date was set and everything. I had lived on my own for 8 months without my parents or anything. I maintained a job and had an apt with a roommate. As soon as my parents found about my emancipation I was arrested as a runaway. They took me hom and released me to my parents. Then me and my father got into an argument and i wound up kiking a hole in the wall.(me and my dad fight often)I was arested and was in Jail for 2 months and now living in a group home. Is my emancipation still possible even though all this has hapned? -Thx
      On 08/06/08
      Hayley from AZ said:
      If you are abused they'll prolly put you in custody or take you away from yuor parents.. that's not a good excuse to be emancipated.. My friend tried it and she was taken away from them they wouldn't let her get meancipated.. VVVVVVVVVVVVV Sorry
      21 thru 25 of 125 comments     1   2   3   4  [ 5 ] ...   

      Read more about the law and Other
      Related Speak Up! Questions
      Related Stories
      LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
      Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

      Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
      Copyright © 1998 - 2024. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

      Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us