Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Laws
 Law Topics
  Arrested (7)
  Bullying (1)
  Curfew (1)
  Driving (9)
  Emancipation (1)
  Family (3)
  Guns and Weapons (1)
  Illegal Substances (8)
  New Laws (4)
  Other (3)
  School (1)
  Trouble (8)
  Violence (5)

Latest Laws

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Laws - View Law: Emancipation

    The Arizona Legislature passed a new law that goes into effect on August 12, 2005 that allows minors to be emancipated. The law can be found at A.R.S. §§ 12-2451 through 12-2456. However, emancipation is a very difficult process that few are eligible for.

    Youth can be emancipated if they meet the following criteria:

    • At least 16
    • An Arizona resident
    • Financially self-sufficient.
    • Acknowledges in writing that they have read and understand the rights and obligations of emancipation
    • The minor is not ward of the court or in the state’s custody.
    Minor must demonstrate to the court the ability to:
    • Manage financial, personal and social affairs.
    • Live wholly independent of parent or guardian.
    • Obtain or maintain health care, education, training or employment.

    Documentation-- the minor must provide at least one (1) of the following:

    • Documentation of the minor’s independent living for at least three consecutive months.
    • Statement explaining why the minor believes the home of the parent or legal guardian is unsafe.
    • A notarized statement of written consent from the parent or guardian in addition to an explanation by the parent or guardian.

    Court Process

    • The court has up to 90 days to hear the emancipation request.
    • Minor may represent themself or be represented by an attorney.
    • The court may appoint a lawyer for the minor.
    • At least 2 months before the hearing, the court must notify the minor's parents.
    • The parents have up to 30 days to object to the emanicpation.
    • The parents may request mediation or the court may order mediation.

    Basis for Court decision

    • Potential risks and consequences of emancipation.
    • The wishes of the minor.
    • Opinions and recommendations of the minor’s parents or guardian.
    • Financial resources of the minor and the minor’s ability to be financially self-sufficient.
    • The employment, education and criminal history of the minor.

    Rights of Emancipated Minors -- An emancipated minor is entitled to:

      • Enter a contract.
      • Sue and be sued.
      • Buy and sell real property.
      • Establish legal residence.
      • Pay child support.
      • Incur debts.
      • Apply for social services.
      • Obtain a job-related license.
      • Apply for school.
      • Apply for loans.
      • Access medical treatment and records.
      • Consent to medical treatment.
      • A driver's license or non-operating license with the words: Emancipated Minor.

      26 thru 30 of 125 comments    ...6 ]  7   8   9   10  ...   
      On 07/13/08
      teanna from AZ said:
      hey im 16 and i was wondering what is the process of being emancipated.? i am verbaly abused by both my mother and my step father. they both are never there. and feel i should do everything. i am a bi-sexual, and they are always verbaly abusing me about the way i am.
      On 07/11/08
      justin from AZ said:
      If your dad throws you into walls and cusses you out 24/7 would i be able to go to my aunts house then try to get emancipated or do i have to stay with him until i get the court hearing?
      On 06/27/08
      Ceci from AZ said:
      I need to know more info about when you are residing away from legal guardians before the emancipation. i need to know the certain criteria about where the minor must live. if it is alone or with another family member or friend.
      On 05/01/08
      Alex from AZ said:
      i use to live with my mom but i would get hit by her boyfriend all of the time. so i moved in with my dad and step mom. it turned out to be the same im so lost, i need help, i use to cut all of the time, i would cut untill i pased out. i havent cut in months but i dont know how much longer it will last. i planed doing it tonight but i stoped my self. my parents say that i am worthless and i am more of a room mate to them, no longer a son.
      On 04/23/08
      alexis from AZ said:
      hey ive wanted to be out of my house for a while now and move back to my old town sierra vista. my parents are seperated and i lived with my dad for a while but was sexually assaulted by a student while i was there. i dont get along with my mom,we constantly argue and i have thoughts of suicide and continue my habit of cutting when im home. can she just give me permission to leave and live with my friend, with a spare bedroom.id go to school get a job and graduate early. what can i do
      26 thru 30 of 125 comments    ...6 ]  7   8   9   10  ...   

      Read more about the law and Other
      Related Speak Up! Questions
      Related Stories
      LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
      Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

      Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
      Copyright © 1998 - 2024. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

      Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us