Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #227

    printer friendly version

    Question: If I get my juvenile record expunged, can I then state the crime wasn't committed -(for example: on an application)?; If not, what good is it to expunge them?

    Answer: Be careful with this topic! A crime can be erased from your file's history [or taken off of your 'record'], but a specific act you have taken cannot be erased from your own history. Once you commit an ACT [in your example, a crime], you can never erase that ACT from your past [in your example, say that you did not commit a crime]. HOWEVER, when your file is 'expunged', you will no longer have a record of your crime in your file.

    Arizona Law (A.R.S. § 8-349) states the rule on how to destroy a juvenile's court records, or 'expunging' one's file. If you satisfy all of the requirements of this Law [be at least 19 years of age, not have been convicted of a felony offense, there are no criminal charges pending, and completing all of the terms and conditions of court ordered probation] then you could get your file erased. What this means is you have no criminal history - so when you are filling out an application and you get to a question on your criminal history - you can honestly say that you don't have a criminal history. [Many times the question is phrased around the commission of a crime as an adult, in any event.] 'Expunging' is a benefit, then, because it allows you to clean up your criminal past and start fresh without a criminal past.

    When someone asks you if you've committed a crime, you can answer that you have no criminal history. That would be true. But again - the actual act never disappears.

    1 thru 5 of 15 comments    [ 1 ]  2   3    
    On 01/17/09
    Vinnie from MN said:
    If i was driving without having a valid license and providing false info to a police officer, am i still able to get expunged?
    On 11/17/07
    ben from AZ said:
    if i have got caught shoplifting and they made a police report on me does it show up on my record ? How can i get myself a clear start again to my life?
    On 04/10/07
    rissa from AL said:
    if i have got caught shoplifting and they made a police report on me does it show up on my record?
    On 02/01/07
    melissa from FL said:
    u may never be able to have guns agin unless u r a juvinile and when your 18 your parents close your case files
    On 06/17/06
    Airi from CA said:
    does your juvenile record show uo on the department of justice back ground check as an adult now
    1 thru 5 of 15 comments    [ 1 ]  2   3    

    Read more about the law and Other
    Related Stories
    Related Laws
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2023. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us