Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #18153

    printer friendly version


    i live at home with my mother and stepfather. i am 16 and will be 17 in july i want to know what i have to do to get out of my house because im being verbaly abused by my stepfather. my mother doesnt defend me most of the time and i have a hard time not getting into an arguement with my stepfather. my real father, to me doesnt really have the abelitly to take care of me so i ask you for help, what do i have to do to get out of this situation?


    If you cannot solve your family situation through counseling, family talks, or spending time at another family's home, then as a last resort, emancipation might be an option. There are many other requirements and rules involved in the emancipation process.  Contact the Arizona Children's Law Center at 602-258-3434 x 266 for more direct legal advice for your specific situation.

    In Arizona, emancipation is process where the minor makes an application to the court and the court, after weighing all relevant factors, determines whether emancipation is in the best interests of the minor.  Emancipation means that the minor has the ability to live completely on his/her own and can accept most responsibilities of an adult.

    So, as a part of the emancipation process, the minor must demonstrate to the court the ability to:


    • Manage financial, personal and social affairs.
    • Live wholly independent of parent or guardian.
    • Obtain or maintain health care, education, training or employment.

    The minor must also provide at least one of the following for “Documentation” to the court:

    • Documentation of the minor’s independent living for at least three consecutive months.
    • Statement explaining why the minor believes the home of the parent or legal guardian is unsafe.
    • A notarized statement of written consent from the parent or guardian in addition to an explanation by the parent or guardian.

    Following the submittal of the minor’s application (called “petition”), the Court Process is:

    • The court has up to 90 days to hear the emancipation request.
    • Minor may represent themselves or be represented by an attorney.
    • The court may appoint a lawyer for the minor.
    • At least 2 months before the hearing, the court must notify the minor's parents.
    • The parents have up to 30 days to object to the emancipation.
    • The parents may request mediation or the court may order mediation.

    The Arizona Legislature passed the laws allowing emancipation on August 12, 2005.  The laws can be found at A.R.S. §§ 12-2451 through 12-2456.  You can also read a summary of the law and the process on this site under Laws - Emancipation.

    See also: Answer to question #22604

    1 thru 5 of 11 comments    [ 1 ]  2   3    
    On 09/19/08
    danya from AZ said:
    wht are the three may ules i need to follw for driving???? I need an answer fast please!!!!n_n
    On 06/12/08
    wes from AZ said:
    hey james from az i was reading your comment and all i have to say is that maybe this is a perfect chance to change that! i mean there's a lot you could do to change whats going on over there! i mean it's just up to you. you could make it against the law or something. just make a petion or something....like i said it's up to you. and kendle from pa why do you need an emancipation to change where you live. just tell your dad to take your mom to court for custody over you.
    On 10/31/07
    Brand from TN said:
    So What are the laws in TN?
    On 10/14/07
    steven from VA said:
    hate to break it to ya james but i go to a private school and if u are i n fight u get expelled!
    On 08/14/07
    james from AZ said:
    Did you know if you go to a christian private school and they believe in order to make kids tuff they will allow 2 kids or so to go at it "fighting" and if your parents try to report it to the police the police will do nothing about it. Nor will CPS or Department of Education. Police department told my family I was to young to express my hurt and no Judge would except this complaint.
    1 thru 5 of 11 comments    [ 1 ]  2   3    

    Read more about the law and New Laws
    Related Stories
    • New Laws
      • No stories found!
    Related Laws
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    These details: more information where can i buy accutane check out here.
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2021. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us