Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #19857

    printer friendly version


    if i turn 18 in 2 weeks do i have to stay at home legally?


    You can legally move out without your parents’ permission when you are 18 years old.  In Arizona, under A.R.S. § 8-201(3), "adult" means a person who is eighteen years of age or older. 


    Until then, your parents are responsible for you and, under A.R.S. § 12-661, your actions.  If your parents know where you are, that you are with another responsible adult, and they allow you to stay there, they are “permitting” you to be there.  If, while you were there, they do not provide reasonable support and maintain regular contact with you, including providing normal supervision, their actions may constitute abandonment.


    Otherwise, you can try to become emancipated if you are 16 or 17 years old, which means that the courts will legally separate you from your parents.  You would assume most all of the responsibilities of an adult.  You would have to demonstrate that you can live independently and then the court would determine if that is in your best interest.  Your parents would have an opportunity to object during the court process.  For more information about the emancipation process, visit Laws - Emancipation on this site or you can view an Emancipation Informational Booklet from the Arizona Supreme Court Administrative Office of the Courts, Dependent Children's Division or you can visit the Emancipation of a Minor online information page

    1 thru 3 of 3 comments    [ 1 ]   
    On 05/07/08
    JT from TN said:
    I don't think that you would have to stay home cause whenever you turn 18 then your an adult and you have to make your own desicions. But make then good ones and behave!!!GOOD LUCK!!!!!
    On 03/22/08
    chris from AL said:
    daphne: read what the article says! your education is not a factor in legality, just your AGE!
    On 03/14/08
    daphne from CA said:
    im 18 and im moving out before i graduate my parents say its illegal is it?
    1 thru 3 of 3 comments    [ 1 ]   

    Read more about the law and When You Turn 18
    Related Stories
    • When You Turn 18
      • No stories found!
    Related Laws
    • When You Turn 18
      • No laws found!
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2024. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us