Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #21455

    printer friendly version

    Question: i was 14 when i got pregnant with my son. the father was 19 at the time. my mom knew before i got pregnant that i was having sex with him but now that i have a child with him she will not allow him to come see me or our son. she believes that she can get the rights of my child. also. i did not put the father on the birth cert. because she said the state would press charges. What are my rights, what are the fathers rights, and what rights does my mom have in this? is this a good qualifacation to get emancipated?


    Your mother cannot legally keep the father from seeing the child. He has just as many parental rights as you do. Can she keep you from seeing him? Yes, until you are 18 she can restrict who you spend time with.

    Even though you are a minor, you still have the right to make decisions for your child.

    Until recently, Arizona did not allow emancipation of minors.  However, the Arizona legislature passed a law that goes into effect August 12, 2005 allowing minors to become emancipated under certain qualifications.  Read more about the qualifications for emancipation>>

    Solely being pregnant without meeting the other requirements in the statute will not constitute being emancipated.  You must meet the rest of the requirements in the statute.

    There are many other requirements and rules involved in the emancipation process.  Contact the Arizona Children's Law Center at 602-258-3434 x 266 for more direct legal advice for your specific situation.

    You may want to look into counseling provided by the court to determine a parenting plan that will be in the best interests of your child.

    1 thru 2 of 2 comments    [ 1 ]   
    On 09/22/06
    Amanda from NY said:
    As far as your mom not letting him see your child, just let the courts deal with that. They will allow him to see his child and there will be nothing see can do about it. But, as far as her getting custody of your child SHE CAN!! I know where I lived in Indiana my cousin had a child at 15 or 16 and they gave her parents temporary custody because the courts thought she wasn't fit cause she was so young! Now that she is 18 they are still wanting her parents to have custody! It's all about how fit you are to be a parent. Realize that your mom is trying to protect you, because you are so young!!
    On 09/07/06
    Heaven from GA said:
    gurl your mama cant keep your baby daddy from seeing your baby she betta be lucky he wanna be in both of lives but if he dont want nuthin to do with neither wanna yall then shes do the righ thing but if he do than she should be happy because some men dont care ... well i am done be out i gave a much advice as i can so its your turn to step up especially the daddy and plus he can take yall to court and say she want let me see my baby and yall can be charged think about it homegurl
    1 thru 2 of 2 comments    [ 1 ]   

    Read more about the law and Emancipation
    Related Stories
    • Emancipation
      • No stories found!
    Related Laws
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Recommended site: as reported here roaccutane online buy additional info.
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2020. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us