Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #22658

    printer friendly version

    Question: My mother is seriously crazy. I have tried my hardest to deal with it, but living with her is not an option. I could go live with my dad, but instead of putting stress on him, i'd like to just emancipate myself. He only has visitation rights... if i lived with him for 3 months and paid him rent and stuff would that be like living on my own? Or would they see that as living with a gaurdian? Please answer!!


    Living with your father would not be viewed as living on your own, even though you paid rent.  You would still be living with a parent. 


    In Arizona, emancipation is process where the minor makes an application to the court and the court, after weighing all relevant factors, determines whether emancipation is in the best interests of the minor.  Emancipation means that the minor has the ability to live completely on his/her own and can accept most responsibilities of an adult.


    So, as a part of the emancipation process, the minor must demonstrate to the court the ability to:

    • Manage financial, personal and social affairs.
    • Live wholly independent of parent or guardian.
    • Obtain or maintain health care, education, training or employment.

    The minor must also provide at least one of the following for “Documentation” to the court:

    • Documentation of the minor’s independent living for at least three consecutive months.
    • Statement explaining why the minor believes the home of the parent or legal guardian is unsafe.
    • A notarized statement of written consent from the parent or guardian in addition to an explanation by the parent or guardian.

    Following the submittal of the minor’s application (called “petition”), the Court Process is:

    • The court has up to 90 days to hear the emancipation request.
    • Minor may represent themselves or be represented by an attorney.
    • The court may appoint a lawyer for the minor.
    • At least 2 months before the hearing, the court must notify the minor's parents.
    • The parents have up to 30 days to object to the emancipation.
    • The parents may request mediation or the court may order mediation.

    The Arizona Legislature passed the laws allowing emancipation on August 12, 2005.  The laws can be found at A.R.S. §§ 12-2451 through 12-2456.  You can also read a summary of the law and the process on this site under Laws - Emancipation.

    See also: Answer to question #22604

    1 thru 2 of 2 comments    [ 1 ]   
    On 11/13/08
    from AZ said:
    Thanks for the info- I would also like the necessary documents that the court requires, if you could make those available. PDF Format please. Thanks!
    On 06/12/07
    faith from AL said:
    What ever
    1 thru 2 of 2 comments    [ 1 ]   

    Read more about the law and Emancipation
    Related Stories
    • Emancipation
      • No stories found!
    Related Laws
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2024. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us