Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #23140

    printer friendly version


    If you commit a fairly serious crime (like stealing a car) when you are 17 but the trial is put off until you turn 18, can you be tried as an adult even though you committed it as a minor?


    Depending on the charges against you and (when the charges were brought), it is possible.  It is truly dependent upon all of the facts. To help give you an overall idea of Arizona law, this response will give a general overview of  charging minors as adults


    Charging Minors as Adults 

    Generally, if a minor is 15 years of age or older, and is accused of a violent crime (including, but not limited to: murder, forced sexual assault, and armed robbery) or the minor (15yrs or older) is considered a "chronic felony offender" then the county attorney/prosecutor is directed to bring adult charges against the minor; A.R.S. § 13-501(A);  (A chronic felony offender is defined as  "a juvenile who has had two prior and separate adjudications and dispositions for conduct that would constitute a historical prior felony conviction if the juvenile had been tried as an adult;" ARS § 13-501 (G)(2) )


     If a minor is 14 years or older, the county attorney/prosecutor can decide to bring adult charges against the juvenile if:

        • The juvenile (14yrs or older):
          • is accused of any Class 1 or  Class 2 felony;
          • is accused of a Class 3 felony in violation of any offense in chapters 10 through 17 or chapter 19 or 23 of the criminal code; (this includes a broad range of categories);
          • is accused of a Class 3, Class 4, Class 5 or Class 6 felony where there was a serious and intentional physical injury involved; (and/or the threat of serious injury was involved); or;
          • is considered a "chronic felony offender" See, A.R.S. § 13-501 (B);

    0 thru 0 of 0 comments      
    Sorry, there are currently no comments posted
    0 thru 0 of 0 comments      

    Read more about the law and When You Turn 18
    Related Stories
    • When You Turn 18
      • No stories found!
    Related Laws
    • When You Turn 18
      • No laws found!
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2024. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us