Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #23804

    printer friendly version

    Question: i am only 16 and my boyfriend is 21, can we get married with out having problems with the law?

    Answer: According to Arizona Law, A.R.S. § 25-102, titled "Consent required for marriage of minors,” a person under the age of 18 cannot marry without the consent of the parent or guardian having custody of such person. A person under 16 cannot marry without the consent of the parent or guardian having custody of that person and the approval of any superior court judge in the state.

    When both parents are living the consent of either parent is sufficient. When the parents are living apart, the consent shall be given by the parent who has the custody of the minor.

    Before authorizing the marriage of a person who is under sixteen years of age, the court:

    1. Shall require both parties to the marriage to complete premarital counseling.The court may waive this requirement if the court determines that premarital counseling is not reasonably available. 
    2. Must find that the minor is entering into the marriage voluntarily.
    3. Must find that the marriage is in the best interests of the minor under the circumstances. 
    4. May require that the minor continue to attend school.
    5. May require any other condition that the court determines is reasonable under the circumstances.

    A marriage shall not take place under this section if it is prohibited by the law relating to prohibited and void marriages (A.R.S. § 25-101).

    1 thru 5 of 17 comments    [ 1 ]  2   3   4    
    On 04/29/09
    emily from KY said:
    okay idk wat to do im only 14 and my bf is bout to be 19 and we have talked bout gettin married but i think that im too young but were 2gether 4 another year or 2 then i wwouldnt mind bein married to him and i really do love him and hes never treated me bad or ne thing and if we r 2gether 4 a long time b4 we even deside to get married then i think my granny (thats who i live w/) would sighn 4 me...but the question is should i i would only b 16 though is that too young if u really love sum1 and have been to gether 4 like 3 years???
    On 04/05/09
    Rose from OR said:
    I am 16 and my boyfriend is 19 the age difference is only three years which is legal as long as there is no sexual contact. MY parents have met him and they both really love him, but they can't get his age out of their heads. So they have told me i cannot see him. We have been together for a year even though my parents don't want us together. We plan to get married as soon as possible weather it is this year or two years from now. Just be careful with what your doing, if you really love him you need to wait and keep him out of trouble.If he really loves you,he will still love you in two year.
    On 02/20/09
    Desie from AZ said:
    I think that they shouldnt e aloud to get married because she is to young to get maried to an 21 year old. if they did get married they would get into alot of trouble and the 21 year old would have to face consequences. they should wait till they are older well at least the 16 year old
    On 01/30/09
    Steve from CA said:
    It is perfectly fine, however the boyfriend must watch his actions very carefully. In this sort of thing, if the girlfriend is mad, or upset, all she has to do is say you sexually violated her, and more than likly the boyfriend will spend time in jail. Adult and minor relationships is a very high risk gamble, and certainly NOT recommended. With marrying, it must be in consent of the parents first, and there has to be proof the minor is free willingly WANTING the marriage.
    On 01/14/09
    Mariah from AZ said:
    I have been married for over a year now and i dont think you are too young to decide to get married, i do feel as though you need to be in a stable relationship with the person you are going to marry. i was with my husband for two and a half years before we got married and he has a child from his ex. i am a mother and a wife i am expecting my first child with him in April. you are never too young to make your own decision just be sure its what you want!
    1 thru 5 of 17 comments    [ 1 ]  2   3   4    

    Read more about the law and Marriage
    Related Stories
    • Marriage
      • No stories found!
    Related Laws
    • Marriage
      • No laws found!
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2024. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us