Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #24178

    printer friendly version


    I just got married with my mothers approval,Because I am only 16. Since I am a minor is my husband my guardian now or is it still my mother?


    First, as you mentioned, since you are under 18, you must have had the consent of your parent or guardian who has cutody of you in order to get married. See A.R.S. § 25-102. If you were under 16 you would have also needed the approval of a Superior Court Judge to get married. There must be a license and a ceremony for the wedding.

    If you are legally married, under Arizona law, you are considered an emancipated minor. See question # 21353 about emancipation and marriage. As an emancipated minor, neither your mother or your husband is your legal guardian. To learn about the emancipation law and how it effects you, take a look at emancipation in our laws section of the website.

    1 thru 2 of 2 comments    [ 1 ]   
    On 05/29/08
    Chris from CO said:
    If your husband is 18 years or older...he is now legally your guardian.
    On 04/22/08
    sherry from FL said:
    hey dat girl is really notsmart cuz i learned dah hard way dat u dont wanna ge tmarried till u a legal aldult cuz i got married at dah age of fourteen and it waz really hard for me cuz i still ha dto go to sxchool an dmy husband wa zonly fiveteen :p
    1 thru 2 of 2 comments    [ 1 ]   

    Read more about the law and Marriage
    Related Stories
    • Marriage
      • No stories found!
    Related Laws
    • Marriage
      • No laws found!
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2024. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us