Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #25195

    printer friendly version

    Question: I am 15 years old and I'm being emotionaly abused by my mother. My dads house isnt an option. Is there a way to get custody to my grandparents? Or do I have to get emancipated before I can freely live with them?

    Answer: First, I am sorry that you are having a hard time.  It's not easy to be 15!  Concerning your question, the law generally provides that biological parents have a superior right to raise their own children above even the interest of grandparents.  It is possible for a grandparent to ask the family court for visitation with a grandchild (ARS 25-409), or even custody (ARS 25-415).  But it takes quite a bit of legal wrangling, and it often fails - especially in a lawsuit for custody.

    In order for a grandparent to demand custody, s/he must show all of the following:  (1) the grandparent has been treated as a parent by the child in the past, and has formed a meaningful parental relationship with that child for a substantial period of time; (2) it would be significantly detrimental to the child to remain with a biological parent who wishes to retain custody; (3) at least one year has expired since the last custody order, unless there is a reason to believe that the current environment may seriously endanger the child's physical, mental, moral or emotional health; and (4) the biological parents are not married, a divorce petition is pending between the parents, or one of the parents is deceased.  In other words, it takes more than proving that your mother is a tough disciplinarian or "nags" you a lot.  If it were that easy, millions of teenagers across the country would demand a new parent!  You basically have to demonstrate that her emotional abuse is, for example, plainly cruel and destructive.  Before you venture down that path, perhaps you should consider asking your mother to join you in counseling.  It costs a lot less, and - when people participate willingly - can often produce terrific results!

    1 thru 1 of 1 comments    [ 1 ]   
    On 01/20/09
    Ryan from TN said:
    I left home when i was 14 and disappeared to a friends house 2 states away and came back now at 18. If you have somewhere you can go until your 18 without getting caught then do it but just know those 4 years SUCKED, you cant get a job or someone will know where you are. best bet is get your grandparents to get a lawyer and head to a courtroom
    1 thru 1 of 1 comments    [ 1 ]   

    Read more about the law and Emancipation
    Related Stories
    • Emancipation
      • No stories found!
    Related Laws
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Read what he said: go to the source buy accutane 30mg take a look at the thread here.
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2020. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us