Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #23235

    printer friendly version

    Question: I was charged with underage smoking, but didn't receive court notification until I turned 18. Will this cause the charges to be dropped?


    I'm not sure of your age at the time of the alleged offense and the date of the alleged offense so I can't calculate the applicable time period for the statute of limitations which would apply to the charging of the crime.

    What I can tell from the question is that unless the period from the date of the discovery of the offense by the Government to the point of actual charging of the offense is greater than the statute of limitations, a person who committed a crime as a minor, about to become an adult, can be charged when that person reaches adulthood (majority).

    Just reaching the age of eighteen doesn't make the allegation of an offense go away, it just changes the legal status of the accused from accused as a minor to accused as an adult. The statute of limitations is addressed under A.R.S. § 13-107.

    6 thru 7 of 7 comments     1  [ 2 ]   
    On 11/05/07
    Char from PA said:
    Well I dont know about the laws there but i know that it isnt against the law to smoke but only to buy them. So unless you were caught buying them then they cant charge you for anything. If i were you i would find out for sure and get a lawyer. Hope this helps!
    On 10/30/07
    KH from VA said:
    Either way, you were charged when you were underage, you should have charges against you.
    6 thru 7 of 7 comments     1  [ 2 ]   

    Read more about the law and When You Turn 18
    Related Stories
    • When You Turn 18
      • No stories found!
    Related Laws
    • When You Turn 18
      • No laws found!
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2024. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us