Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #23944

    printer friendly version


    My son is planning to drop out of school at 16. He is a bright boy, and I'm sure at some point he will get his GED. While I do not support his decision, I will help him get a job at 16 --but show him the door as well. Can a parent initiate an emancipation request if the minor refuses to attend high school, and can support himself financially?


    There doesn't seem to be a procedure that permits a parent to file an emancipation petition.  (And if you think about it, that probably makes sense.  Otherwise, parents frustrated with their minor children would always petition for emancipation just to get rid of a kid with whom they don't want to hassle.)  A.R.S. § 12-2451 provides the basics on how to start the process if the  child wishes to take that step. You (and your son) should also carefully review A.R.S. § 12-2452 (concerning mediation), 12-2453 (burden of proof & factors considered), and 12-2454 (consequences of emancipation) before he takes the plunge (assuming he wants to) - because it may prove more complicated and serious than either of you realize.

    Obviously, one would like to see children remain in school through graduation.  And your son's decision to drop out indeed may be a poor one.  For better or worse, however, you are still responsible for his upbringing until he reaches the age of majority - or until he decides to seek emancipation himself.  You may want to consider briefly consulting with a lawyer who works in Arizona juvenile law as that attorney is practiced in this area of law and can sit down and discuss the specifics of your situation. This answer is intended as information only.

    1 thru 1 of 1 comments    [ 1 ]   
    On 04/16/09
    from AZ said:
    If your son is currently under the age of 16, have the school file a truancy referral to the juvenile court. Once he is under the jurisdiction of the court, the court can make him continue his education even if he is 16.
    1 thru 1 of 1 comments    [ 1 ]   

    Read more about the law and Emancipation
    Related Stories
    • Emancipation
      • No stories found!
    Related Laws
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2024. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us