Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #148

    printer friendly version

    Question: I am an 18 year old college freshman. I live away from home and pay for all my own expenses. My parents still want to keep control over my bank accounts and will only allow me to touch the money when they say I can. Is there any way I can get an "emancipation" for non-minors so that I will have legal financial independence?

    Answer: This is more a matter of your bank's policies and your parent's rules than it is a matter of the law. When you turn the age of majority, 18 years old in most states, you are legally emancipated. That is, the law views you as an adult and your parent's legal obligation to support you ends.

    You should be able to open your own banking account at a financial institution if you are 18 years old, an account which you will have total control over as the sole holder of the account.

    If your account with your parents is in their name, then they have the right to regulate your access to the money in the account. If you are a joint account holder, then most banks will not restrict your access to the account.

    1 thru 3 of 3 comments    [ 1 ]   
    On 12/08/07
    Sammy from NY said:
    you can juss go to the bank and tell them that your 18 now and u want the account in your name thats wat i did
    On 01/24/05
    angela from AZ said:
    to tell you the truth most all banks allow you to have full access to the account if your name is on the account wether it is a joint account or in your name soley. I have both checking and savings accounts that my parents got me when i was younger it was in both their names and mine and as soon as i turned 18 i had full access to it wether my parents liked it or not.
    On 08/30/02
    Ken from FL said:
    If your funds are in an account that requires more than one signature such as yours and one of your parents to withdraw funds that is a problem. If the funds are in your name alone but your parents refuse to give you your checkbook or passbook then you can take them to court.
    1 thru 3 of 3 comments    [ 1 ]   

    Read more about the law and Family
    Related Stories
    Related Laws
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2024. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us