Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #161

    printer friendly version

    Question: Can a minor get custody of a child that he fathered?

    Answer: This answer applies Arizona law, but is likely true in most if not all other jurisdictions.

    No. A minor cannot get custody of a child while he is still a minor. Only an adult can be granted custody of a minor child. However, when the minor becomes an adult, at age 18, he can then ask for custody.

    A parent has priority over any others for custody. However, the court will look at what is in the best interests of the child. If the 18 year old has no job and no way to support himself, and provide for his own needs, there is no way that he will be able to provide for the needs of his child, and he will not be granted custody. If he has a job, and a place to live that is appropriate for the child, he might very will be given custody. The only person who has equal priority with him to have custody is the mother.

    If he is granted custody, the persons who cared for the child while he was a minor will most likely be granted visitation with the child. He will have to cooperate with this visitation.

    Again, the determination will be WHAT IS IN THE BEST INTERESTS OF THE CHILD, and this depends upon the facts and circumstances at the time custody is asked for. To put it another way: 'It depends.'

    1 thru 3 of 3 comments    [ 1 ]   
    On 08/05/02
    doug from LA said:
    Can I make the choice to live with only one parent even if the other parent lives close by? I just told my mother tonight that I didn't want to live with her.
    On 07/09/02
    Julie from GA said:
    I dont think a minor should get custody of a child. They are still minors themselves, and dont yet have enough knowledge of the world. I do think that once a minor turns 18, if they are able to financially care for the child, then they should get custody.
    On 04/09/02
    jessie from MD said:
    not many minors want to take responsibility for fathering (or mothering) a child... i think it should be allowed if the minor father/mother can support their child... THEIR child... they should have as much of a right to THEIR child as an adult does...
    1 thru 3 of 3 comments    [ 1 ]   

    Read more about the law and Family
    Related Stories
    Related Laws
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Site link: go to page buy isotretinoin cheap try this thread.
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2021. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us