Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #163

    printer friendly version

    Question: What is a ward of the court?

    Answer: Under Arizona Law (ARS 8-821-829), a ward of the court is someone who is under 18 and whose legal guardian is the court system instead of their parent or other person.

    A minor can become a ward of the court where a police officer, child protective services worker or other interested person removes them temporarily from their home because of a good faith belief that removal is necessary to prevent abuse or neglect from occurring or continuing. Under Arizona Law (ARS 8-824) there must be a hearing within 72 hours of the temporary removal of the child. At this hearing a judge must determine if the child is to be returned to their parent, or other guardian, or if the child will remain a ward of the court. In order for the child to remain a ward of the court, the judge must find that the child will be subject to abuse or neglect if returned to their parent. Once a child is ward of the court, the court decides where they will live and will make other decisions on behalf of the child like the decisions a parent would make.

    1 thru 5 of 11 comments    [ 1 ]  2   3    
    On 04/27/07
    K from NY said:
    I have been a ward of the court for quite sometime and my auntand uncle has got cuosody of me.I now live with my 4 cousins if she still gets money for me am I still a ward of the court?
    On 07/15/06
    Monika from CA said:
    I used to work in Financial Aid at a college. What you dois fill out the FAFSFA (federal form) as required, using your parents info. Then, once it is processed and sent your school(s) of choice, write an appeal letter to the school's financial aid office, laying out your situation and providing supporting documention (if any - don't worry if you don't have any). Include tax returns, if you file them, or just explain that they're not supporting you and why. The school will then adjust your aid to reflect your situation. Every school has a procedure for this. Just explain and they'll help.
    On 05/22/06
    Vic from NY said:
    I was involved in an order of protection case with my father, and left my house because i did not feel safe in my house. Since then he and my mother have decided not to support me for college, and I'm not sure how to apply as an independant student...Please let me know how I can recieve financial aid?
    On 11/23/05
    chantelle from Othr said:
    im a ward of court and my mother has kicked me out of the house...i cant be rehomed untill im 18 what shall i do?
    On 11/11/05
    lola from TX said:
    i have a 16 year old son whom i just found after 15 1/2 years his father took him and left the state when he was 6 months old his grandmother has him and she told me today that he is a ward of the court how do i get him back
    1 thru 5 of 11 comments    [ 1 ]  2   3    

    Read more about the law and Family
    Related Stories
    Related Laws
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2024. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us