Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #17396

    printer friendly version

    Question: While I was still a minor I had a joint account with my parents. Before I turned 18 my mom closed the account and took all the money out of it, this being my college fund. They are now going through a divorce and the money is just gone (she is claiming that she put it into cd's and now its gone).  Is there any way to get the money back from her now that I need it for school?


    It will depend a lot on where the money came from. If it was a gift given directly to you for college and you can prove this, you may be able to sue your mother for these funds. If the account was a trust account, then you may be able to sue her as the trustee of property that belonged to you. However, if she can prove that the funds were used for your support, e.g. for food, clothing, housing, medical care, etc. that your parents would not otherwise be able to afford for you, then the money probably cannot be recovered.

    If the money was not a gift to you, but was simply family money that was put in the account to save it in the hopes that it could be used for college, then you probably cannot recover it.

    Even if you were to get a judgment against your mother, if she has no money or property, there might not be any way to collect the judgment.

    1 thru 2 of 2 comments    [ 1 ]   
    On 01/24/08
    meg from OR said:
    My parents were trustees for my siblings and my trust fund that was to be used for college expenses as specified in my relatives will. The money was spent on my fathers business instead. I feel very manipulated due to the fact that if I were to sue them the money wouldn't anything gained, money or otherwise. I wonder how common this trend is? Is this self-entitlement more common in the baby boomer generation?
    On 07/24/07
    claudy from Othr said:
    your mum is being selfish and unreal to you she promised you somthing and the promise hasnt been krept its obvious your mother has spent it on her divorce and she is probably trying to save up to give it back to you but that doesnt mean she should of taken the money if you can confront your mum and ask her what she really done with the money and you will eventually get the truth out of her.
    1 thru 2 of 2 comments    [ 1 ]   

    Read more about the law and Family
    Related Stories
    Related Laws
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Useful source: read more buying cheap accutane browse this thread.
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2020. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us