Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #243

    printer friendly version

    Question: I received a $100.00 jaywalking ticket that has no court date on it. What will happen If I don't show up. Is this fine excessive?

    Answer: Jaywalking is a civil traffic offense. See A.R.S. Sections 28-121 and 28-793. That type of offense carries a maximum fine of $250 plus any applicable surcharges. Surcharges can add up to an additional 47% of the fine amount.

    If the citation sets no court date, then the $100 assessment is a bond guaranteeing appearance in court to resolve the citation. You should call the court to be sure that a hearing is scheduled. If the court datewas set and has already been held, then the bond amount is levied against you as a fine.

    If you appear in court and a fine is assessed, your failure to pay can result in collection action as well as the suspension of your driver's license until all payments are made or until satisfactory arrangements for payment have been made. See A.R.S. Section 28-1601.

    1 thru 5 of 8 comments    [ 1 ]  2    
    On 02/06/08
    What? from CA said:
    That law is pretty weak. Im glad we are paying taxes for cops to bust jaywalkers. I sleep better at night knowing that they are getting those dirty jaywalkers off the street.
    On 01/10/08
    hight from MA said:
    It is not legal to jaywalk in MA. and you can be fined under Boston City Article A7, section 1 for violation of Pedestrians crossing ways or roadways improperly, which is also addressed int he State laws under 720CMR 9.09 (4) (a), and then again under MA motor vehicle laws Chapter 90, section 18a. So if you think you can jaywalk in MA, think again. MA just has another name for it.
    On 10/18/07
    from AL said:
    whoever gave you that ticket is laughing at you right now
    On 08/13/07
    Tessa from MA said:
    It's legal in Boston.. I know it's for safety, but if your a responsible pedestrian then I think it should be legal in all states
    On 04/18/06
    from AL said:
    the right to travel is inherent to all human beings and no government has the right to tell you where you can and cannot travel. ignore this law please.
    1 thru 5 of 8 comments    [ 1 ]  2    

    Read more about the law and Other
    Related Stories
    Related Laws
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2024. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us