Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #84

    printer friendly version

    Question: Can a minor have a car title under their name?

    Answer: After researching this question and discussing it with analysts at the Arizona Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) we have concluded that there is no law that prohibits a minor from holding title to a vehicle.

    However, all vehicles must be insured if they are operated on Arizona streets or highways. A minor cannot enter into a binding contract and, thus, insurance companies will not enter into a contract with a minor to insure a vehicle. MVD advises us that some insurance companies will cover the vehicle by entering into a contract with a person who is not the owner, thus, a minor/owner might be able to have their car insured if the parent entered into the insurance contract for them.

    Another option is Arizona Revised Statute 28-4084 which allows a $40,000.00 certificate of deposit to be posted to cover the financial responsibility requirements rather than having an insurance policy to insure the vehicle. There is no age limit for depositing the certificate of deposit in lieu of insurance.

    1 thru 5 of 19 comments    [ 1 ]  2   3   4    
    On 12/12/08
    tiffan from OH said:
    At the age of 16 my mom put my car in my name she had to sign a parent consent form which is free. When I sold the car my mom had to sign a parent consent form giving me the right to sell my car. I then bought a 2002 durango which was also put in my name doing the same as before, When it came to the Insurance issues as long as my mother signed the papers along with myself I was able to get insurance in my name as well.. I hope this helps those in question, I have an awesome mom too...Tiffany
    On 02/25/08
    from FL said:
    i have a grandmother that went to the doctors and her kidneys are bad she wants to make a will but she also wants to put the car in good hands.. im only 16 and she wants to put it in my name
    On 02/12/08
    Laura from AZ said:

    What Mark said is not necessarily true. Being a minor makes the contract voidable by the minor until they reach the age of majority. Once the age of majority is reached it is voidable only after a reasonable amount of time for the minor to void the contract, then it's completely enforcible. Most auto dealers do not want to enter into a contract with a minor for this reason.

    On 01/28/08
    Mark from AZ said:
    Legally, minors do not have contract rights. Usually involving a minor on nearly any form of agreement or contract immediately voids the contract.
    On 01/08/08
    beth from OK said:
    i'm 17 with a car that only has my name on the title. my father bought it for me and now we aren't on good terms and he wants the car back. i heard that if you are a minor, whatever you own, your parents own as well. is that true? could he change the name on the title without my consent? could he legally put the car under his name just because he's my father?
    1 thru 5 of 19 comments    [ 1 ]  2   3   4    

    Read more about the law and Driving
    Related Stories
    Related Laws
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Useful link: click here buy isotretinoin talking to.
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2020. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us