Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #140

    printer friendly version


    I live in Arizona, is there no possibility of me requesting legal emancipation without parental consent?


    Read more about Emancipation in the Laws section of this website.

    Arizona law makes your parents responsible for your well-being until you turn 18 years old.

     The only exceptions to this are if you are legally married (if you are under 18, parents must approve of you being married) or join the military (parents must usually give their approval if you join the military before you are 18).

    In cases where parents are not providing for your well-being (like cases of abuse or neglect), the state government can sever a parent's rights. This means that due to evidence of abuse or neglect of a child, the state declares that a parent is not fufilling their legal responsibility to provide for a child's well-being. In cases such as this, a parent's rights over a child may be severed.

    This is not emancipation though, as the child is taken care of by the Arizona foster care system until they are 18.

    1 thru 5 of 29 comments    [ 1 ]  2   3   4   5  ...   
    On 06/25/08
    Jackie from AZ said:
    I have no legal father & I am currently living with my mother & her new boyfriend which she has only known for 3 weeks. I want to get emancipated but have no job because she is constantly moving me around. Although i have had others in the past. And would it help if at the hearing i had written letters from multiple other people that have housed me before due to her neglect and mental and sometimes physical abuse? Along with the fact that because of her i was homeless for 3 months and now she won't let me live on my own and once emancipated i would have a safer steady adult to live with.
    On 09/29/07
    Shayan from AZ said:
    I am 17 years old and I currently live with my mom but I want to get emmancipated because I want to come live with a friend in Payson but I don't want the cops to get involved, and I can't really get emancipated because I haven't been working for the past five months so that means I would have to work for three months to prove to the courts, and it takes three months to do the process of emancipation so it would take like six months to get it done and I turn eighteen in six months.
    On 07/18/06
    Che' from AZ said:
    I have a 16 year old niece who has parents dealing with alcoholism and who are neglegting her needs. She doesn't feel safe sleeping in her own bed at night, for fear of waking up to yet another fight. The usual signs of neglect also abound, when we went to her home to pick up a few things for her to stay at my home for a while, the house was dirty, there was no hot-water, beer cans and bottles strewn around and no food in the fridge. She has told me she doesn't want to go home to her parents( they were evicted last week) could she be eligible for emancipation?
    On 05/25/06
    Destiny from MO said:
    I am 17 years old and i have been out of my parents house since 2 weeks after my 17 b-day. i plan to move to Arizona in a couple months and finish my last year of high school out there, but i cannot enroll myself untill age 18. i won't be 18 before school starts, but it is pointless to terminate parental rights when october isn't too far. plus i have many siblings and i don't want them to be seperated. if i go to court, i will fight fire and probably win, but i don't want to be hated, i'd rather move out of state and have them out of my life almost completely. what r all the laws of legal age?
    On 08/30/05
    Stephanie from AZ said:
    I am 17 and I know that I can take care of myself if I were out in the real world. I know exactly what is out there and I am ready to deal with whatever may come my way. However, my parents see things differently, they think that I could not take care of anything without there help. I have gotten myself into school without them, all they did was sign a paper for me to turn in. I think that I should have every legal right to leave home when I am 17 if I can take care of myself. I have made mistakes, but I should have legal right to emancipate myself. No one is perfect, but I am responsible.
    1 thru 5 of 29 comments    [ 1 ]  2   3   4   5  ...   

    Read more about the law and Family
    Related Stories
    Related Laws
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Website: click to go is it safe to buy accutane online helpful thread.
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2020. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us