Teachers *  About LFK * LFK en Espanol * Search LFK:   
LFK Home Speak Up! Stories Toons Laws Justice for All Law Docs Change It! Games Links
Search Questions
 Speak Up! Topics
  Arrested (61)
  Banking (5)
  Bullying (6)
  Contracts (5)
  Credit (4)
  Curfew (44)
  Drinking (25)
  Driving (187)
  Emancipation (67)
  Family (219)
  Guns and Weapons (23)
  Housing (17)
  Illegal Substances (91)
  Jury Duty (15)
  Marriage (16)
  New Laws (15)
  Other (378)
  School (118)
  Sexual Assault and Misconduct (31)
  Trouble (34)
  Vandalism and Property Damage (8)
  Violence (87)
  Voting (6)
  When You Turn 18 (107)
  Work and Employment (24)

Latest Questions
  • Is it illegal to download foreign items that is not licensed in United States?

  • I have a questions for you. Since i'm emancipated do I still have to have my parent sign for me to get a tatoo in arizona. And if not would i have to bring the emancipation papers with me to get a tatoo.thanx for answering all my questions.

  • how many people can i have in my car,and what is the curfew in goodyear,az

  • what is the cerfew for pinetop-lakeside, az?

  • Can I get emancipated if I'm only 15, if I'm pregnant, and still going to school? And can I live with my boyfriend which he has a job and will prvied everything needed for me and my baby.

  • Search Dictionary

    Tell a friend about this page!
    Type a friend’s email address into the box below, then hit ‘send.

    Speak Up! - View Question #17057

    printer friendly version

    Question: Does a police officer have the right to question an 8th grade student (13 years old) without their parent(s) present?


    Police officers are allowed to question people as part of investigations of criminal offenses.  There are limits to that ability.  If a person is a suspect in a case, an officer should tell them of their "Miranda rights." that they have the right to remain silent and the right to have an attorney present before questioning.  If the officer fails to advise them of these rights, and if a judge later decides the statements were taken improperly, the judge can refuse to allow the statements to be used in court.  


    Where the suspect is under age 18, the officers should be careful to advise the child of his or her rights, including the right to have a parent present during questioning.  The officer should be careful not to intimidate the child during questioning.  A judge can decide later that the child was questioned improperly, and that can result in the statements being thrown out.   If the judge decides the questioning was proper, the statements can still be used even if the child wasn't advised of their rights.  Each case is different, and not all judges rule the same way on the issue of whether a specific statement was taken illegally.  It would be a good idea, if you have been questioned, to discuss this issue fully with an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of the case.


    1 thru 5 of 6 comments    [ 1 ]  2    
    On 09/15/06
    Radoslav from DC said:
    They interrogate children in this country? or only in Arizona?
    On 11/02/05
    Brian from AZ said:
    Miranda only applies if the suspect is in CUSTODY.
    On 10/24/05
    Stephanie from CA said:
    Police do not need to inform the youth that he/she has the right to have a parent present because no such right exists.
    On 09/26/05
    king of battle from AZ said:
    you only need your right read if your under arrest
    On 08/13/05
    cheyanne from WA said:
    i have been questioned by police w/out my parents present so many times i've become immune to it!
    1 thru 5 of 6 comments    [ 1 ]  2    

    Read more about the law and School
    Related Stories
    Related Laws
    LFK Home   |   Speak Up!   |   Stories   |   Toons   |   Laws   |   Justice for All   |   Law Docs   |   Change It!   |   Games   |   Links
    Look these up: visit the website buy cheap accutane why not find out more.
    Disclaimer: The information contained in this site is made available as a public service to the general public and is not intended to serve as legal advice. You should consult a trained legal professional for questions you may have about the laws affecting juveniles or any legal interpretations.

    Send Feedback regarding website content or to report bugs.
    Copyright © 1998 - 2021. Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education, All rights reserved

    Privacy Policy  |  Terms of use  |  Disclaimer  |  Contact Us